There are a thousand and one tutorials on the internet that teach how to go about this (title of post). There are as well a plethora of plugins that claim to help you do this. I have tried most and what I have found is that, these plugins are not reliable and the tutorials are not always complete. These are the steps I take to upload a wordpress installation.
- Make a backup of your database from your development server, i.e export the database you created when you started working on your wordpress based site.
- Cleanup your website, i.e get rid of all unused plugins and media files, this causes unneccessary bloat.
- Create a database on your production (live) server and upload the backup of your datebase (done in step 1),
- On your production server database, replace all instances of
http:\\newdomain.comin database uploaded in step 3.
- Edit your
wp-config.phpfile with the credentials of your production server, i.e [“DB_NAME”, “DB_USER”, “DB_PASSWORD”, “DB_HOST”]
- Upload your websites directory/src/folder to the root of your production server.
- Your website should be up and running, no messy plugins needed.
Do not forget to change the password you used in development.